With growing coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in Victoria, it’s critical we take further steps to help keep our communities safe.
From 11.59pm on Wednesday 22 July, there will be changes in restrictions to help reduce the risk of the virus spreading.
Based on what we know about where these cases are, different restrictions will be applied to different areas in Victoria.
Stay at Home restrictions will still apply in metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire. The rest of Victoria will continue to follow restrictions that came into effect on Wednesday 8 July 2020.
Metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire
- People in these areas can only leave home for four reasons: shopping for food and supplies, outdoor exercise and recreation, medical care and caregiving, and study or work – if you can’t do it from home.
- You cannot have visitors to your home except for caregiving or compassionate reasons or receiving services.
- You cannot visit friends and family outside your home, except to see your intimate partner, for shared care arrangements, for caregiving or compassionate reasons, or providing services.
- You should only exercise with the members of your household or one other person, and you should stay as close to home as possible.
- From 11:59pm on Wednesday 22 July 2020 there are some extra restrictions that will apply:
- When leaving home for one of the four reasons, people 12 years and older must wear a face covering, unless an exemption applies.
- If you are in the car alone or with someone from your household, you do not need to wear a face covering. You should put your face covering on before you leave your car.
- If you are doing strenuous physical exercise you do not need to wear a face covering but you must carry one with you. Strenuous exercise includes activities like jogging, running or cycling but not walking.
- People who live in metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire must not attend a wedding outside these areas, unless they are working as the celebrant. The celebrant must wear a mask.
- People who live in metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire cannot hold a wedding outside these areas, even if a booking has already been made.
People outside of metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire
- You are encouraged to wear a face covering when leaving home and if you are not able to keep 1.5 metres from others. If you need to travel into metropolitan Melbourne or Mitchell Shire then you must wear a face covering.
- If you need to travel through metropolitan Melbourne or Mitchell Shire, you can. You should plan your trip so that you don’t need to stop unless it is for shopping for food and supplies, medical care and caregiving, and study or work. If you are driving and don’t leave your car, a face covering is not required.
- Changes will be made to visiting hospitals, aged care and disability facilities. These relate to the number and type of people who can visit and the number and length of visits per day. If you are unwell or waiting on a coronavirus (COVID-19) test result you must not visit any of these facilities.