That means stopping violence before it starts, by changing the culture that allows it to happen.
Respect Victoria has been established under the Prevention of Family Violence Bill 2018 to:
- Fulfill Recommendation 188 of the Royal Commission into Family Violence
- Deliver on commitments in Free from violence (Victoria’s strategy to prevent family violence and all forms of violence against women). They lead on two key areas of this strategy: Research and evaluation, and community engagement.
Respect Victoria’s vision is a Victoria free from family violence, where all Victorians:
- experience equality and respect
- are empowered and respected at home and everywhere, and
- are supported in their relationships to reach their full potential.
Respect Victoria is now a statutory authority under the Prevention of Family Violence Act 2018. You can follow the work of Respect Victoria on the Respect Victoria website.