Public Participation Framework
The Framework sets out the department’s commitment and directions for stakeholder engagement and public participation, including:
- the department’s definitions and principles of engagement, to ensure Victorians are able to access and engage with the department
- the expectations, roles and responsibilities of staff when engaging with stakeholders and undertaking public participation activities
- guidance on accessing stakeholder engagement training, generalist and specialist support, and other resources available.
It outlines the fundamental principles and elements that underpin good engagement practice, including:
- being clear about the purpose of our engagement
- knowing the history, who is affected and how they should be included
- planning engagement early
- being genuine and inclusive in our engagement
- being clear on our role and monitoring our progress
- communicating regularly and providing feedback to our community and stakeholders
- evaluating our engagement efforts and sharing our lessons.
We consulted with a broad range of program areas across the department to develop this framework.
It should be read in conjunction with the Stakeholder Engagement Toolkit, which provides further tools for better practice stakeholder engagement and public participation.
Stakeholder Engagement Toolkit
The Toolkit, which accompanies the Public Participation Framework, supports well-planned and better practice stakeholder engagement and builds engagement capability across the department.
It includes a step-by-step guide and practical tools to develop and implement a successful stakeholder engagement plan.
For more information on the department's engagement, please email our Stakeholder Engagement team.