On this page
About the project
The Victorian Government is joining with development partner MAB Corporation, and registered housing association HousingFirst, to redevelop the North Melbourne site to provide social, affordable and private housing outcomes.
The redevelopment site at Abbotsford Street will offer increased housing opportunities for more Victorians than ever before, with a range of new and improved housing dwellings. The site is close to schools, transport, employment opportunities, shopping and the central business district of Melbourne city.
The buildings on the site, known as ‘walk-ups’, were built in the 1960s and are no longer suitable for the current needs of Victoria’s social housing tenants and families.
Currently there are 112 dwellings on the Abbotsford Street site. The aged dwellings will be replaced by a minimum of 133 new social and about 170 private housing dwellings. The private housing component of the redevelopment will help fund the project to establish and grow diverse communities.
The new homes will be modern, accessible, safe, secure and energy efficient, with a 5-star Green Star rating and a 7-star NatHERS average rating.
Benefits of the project include:
- Approximately 5,500sqm of land on Molesworth Street for an education facility to help relieve pressure on existing inner-city schools
- A shared open space that will be accessible to the surrounding area
- Improved walking links through the site, including widening of Hardwicke Street for pedestrians
- Shared spaces, including an artist’s live/work studio and an onsite HousingFirst office to support tenants
- Design that will encourage and maximise sight lines and safety
- Retention of as many medium and high-value trees as possible on the site and where removal is not required.
Demolition works are being undertaken in collaboration with contracted demolition specialists.
The health, safety and wellbeing of surrounding residents and site contractors is a high priority for the department, with measures in place to ensure all works are carried out to the highest safety standards.
Contractors will work across the site methodically, ensuring all works cause the least possible disturbance to neighbouring residents and local businesses.
The department will notify renewal site tenants, local residents and business as works commence on the site. All demolition works are carried out by adhering to the highest environmental standards to protect public health and safety.
Community engagement is an important element of the Public Housing Renewal Program. The department has established a Consultative Committee for the renewal of the North Melbourne site.
The committee brings together important community members and representatives of local organisations to provide advice on the redevelopment of the site. It enables ongoing and two-way feedback through participation with community and stakeholders.
Committee members provide input and feedback on redevelopment plans and identify local issues and matters of concern as they arise. Members will communicate the progress of the redevelopment back to their communities to support the successful delivery of the project.
Meet a committee member
Kevin Chamberlin tells us about himself and his motivations for being a member of the North Melbourne Consultative Committee in his biography:
The latest community newsletter has updates on the progress of this important redevelopment project in North Melbourne:
- Abbotsford Street North Melbourne redevelopment site newsletter – May 2020 (PDF)
- Abbotsford Street North Melbourne redevelopment site newsletter – May 2020 – accessible (Word)
Development partner updates
The latest newsletter updates from the North Melbourne site development partner MAB Corporation:
- North Melbourne site development partner MAB Corporation newsletter – April 2020 issue
- North Melbourne site development partner MAB Corporation newsletter – November 2019 issue
More information and contact
Project contact: Vittoria Tsam, Principal Project Manager, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email to register for project updates or send your questions to email@example.com