Further funding will also go to supporting aged care and disability housing.
As part of the package, more than 23,000 social housing dwelling will be upgraded across Victoria.
A number of new dwellings will also be built, providing more Victorians the security and stability of a home.
This investment - announced May 18 - is part of a state-wide $2.7 billion infrastructure investment and will prioritise works that can start in the coming weeks and months to help fast-track economic recovery.
The social housing projects will all start within the next six months and create 600 jobs – with companies required to find employees through Working for Victoria in the first instance.
The investment includes:
- $155 million for maintenance and upgrade works that can be delivered quickly – like painting and roofing – on more than 15,000 public housing properties.
- $115 million will be targeted to rapid housing response projects that increase much needed housing options for Aboriginal Victorians, people at risk of or experiencing homelessness and those leaving State Government services.
- $10 million to accelerate and increase a range of new and existing activities to support women and children escaping family violence.
- $110 million for renovations including kitchens and bathrooms in 2100 public housing properties to improve liveability for Victorian families.
- $58 million to deliver brand new, shovel-ready social housing in Reservoir, Balaclava, Dandenong and Hampton Park.
- $50 million for community housing providers to undertake similar maintenance and upgrade work on social housing properties they manage or own.
This project will deliver safe and secure housing for more Victorians, while also giving the Victorian economy the boost it needs right now.
At least 25 per cent of maintenance and upgrade funding will be earmarked for regional areas to support jobs and communities outside Melbourne.
New dwellings at Aboriginal Housing Victoria sites, upgrades to amenities in specialist disability accommodation and maintenance works at aged care facilities are among the projects that will begin right away.