Information about the Metro-regional work travel permit

Latest updates

  • Businesses only need to issue permits if workers or students on work placement who need to travel between metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria.
  • Businesses don’t need to issue permits for workers who can’t work from home.
  • Workplaces in metropolitan Melbourne can open.
  • The restrictions that apply to where you live travel with you.

Download the Metro-Regional Work Travel permit (Word).

Penalties of up to $19,826 (for individuals) and $99,132 (for businesses) will apply to employers who issue permits to employees who do not meet the requirements of the Metro-Regional Work Travel permit scheme or who otherwise breach the scheme requirements.

There are on-the-spot fines of up to $1,652 (for individuals) and up to $9,913 (for businesses) for anyone who breaches the scheme requirements. This includes employers and employees who do not carry their permit when travelling to and from work and crossing between metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria.

On this page


Employers should issue a permit to their employee if:

  • their employee needs to travel from metropolitan Melbourne to regional Victoria for work
  • their employee needs to travel from regional Victoria to metropolitan Melbourne for work

In rare circumstances an employee does not need a worker permit.

This includes:

  • if an employee is at risk at home, such as at risk of family violence, and
  • law enforcement, emergency services or health care workers who carry employer-issued photographic identification, which clearly identifies the employer.

An employee must not use a permit, even if they have been issued one, if:

  • they test positive to coronavirus (COVID-19) and are required to self-isolate
  • they are a close contact of someone who has tested positive.

Information employers will need

To issue a worker permit, employers will need:

  • name, ABN, company address and trading name
  • the name and date of birth of the employee
  • the employee’s place of work
  • to have a COVIDSafe Plan in place, and
  • to authorise a person or people to issue the permit.

How to issue a worker permit

Each employee required to be on site must receive an individual permit with the required details.

Employers must:

1. Download the  Metro-Regional Work Travel permit (Word). and fill it out. 

  • Employers must use this template for all worker permits issued under this scheme unless the worker has a permit issued under the previous Permitted Worker Permit Scheme – these permits can continue to be used.

2. Sign the worker permit. You can print and sign or sign it electronically. 

  • Businesses must get an authorised person to sign the worker permit. This person might be the CEO, a HR manager, an operations manager or anyone else that is suitable. 
  • They must be accountable for the details they provide. 
  • They may be contacted by Victoria Police or other enforcement agencies to confirm the details.

3. Ask the employee to sign the worker permit. They can print and sign or sign electronically. 

  • You can email or text the worker permit to your employee.
  • An employee may travel to work without a worker permit once to get their first permit.

Carrying a worker permit

Employees must carry the worker permit and photo identification when travelling between regional Victoria and metropolitan Melbourne.

The worker permit can be carried electronically, for example as a photo or scanned copy on a mobile device.

Working across multiple sites

Employers should minimise any requirement for employees to work at different sites.

Where possible, if a person is working regularly across the same locations, their permit should specify the sites they attend.

If someone's job requires them to visit multiple sites in an unpredictable way (such as delivery drivers), an employer can issue a permit using the employee’s primary place of work.

If a person’s permit is checked, the police may contact their employer to confirm the employee’s permitted workplaces. This may include checking where they need to travel beyond their primary place of work on that day.

An employee working at more than one site must keep a log of the places visited including date, time and place of attendance.

Sole trader

If you are a sole trader who needs to travel between metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria, then you must issue a permit and sign the permit. For the purposes of the permit you are considered both the employer and employee. You should complete the employee and employer details.

Sub contractors

The employer of the sub-contractor who needs to travel between metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria needs to be satisfied that the sub-contractor is required on-site.

The employer may be the main contractor, or it may be that the sub-contractor is a sole trader.


The person or entity who must issue the permit is determined by who is the employer under the franchise agreement.

If the franchisee is the employer, they will be responsible for issuing the permit.

International or national organisations

You should not travel between regional Victoria and metropolitan Melbourne for work without a permit.

If your employer has not been in contact about a worker permit, you should contact your manager or human resources department.

People who are exempt from carrying a permit

Certain emergency services, public safety and health workers are not required to carry a permit under the scheme. These people can use their photographic personal identification from their place of work as evidence of their permitted worker status. The following people do not require a permit if they have photo identification from their place of work:

  • all Victoria Police employees, Australian Defence Force employees, Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission employees, Australian Border Force employees, Australian Federal Police employees, and employees of government intelligence and security agencies;
  • emergency service workers and volunteers, which include: Ambulance Victoria, Australian Red Cross, Bushfire Recovery Victoria, Country Fire Authority, Emergency Management Victoria, Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority, Fire Rescue Victoria, Forest Fire Management Victoria, Life Saving Victoria, Marine Search and Rescue, Victoria State Emergency Service, Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine, andhospital workers and health workers (including non-emergency patient transport workers)

If a person is not required to carry a permit, they must hold ID from their place of work which includes:

  • Their name and place of work.
  • Photo identification. If your workplace identification does not include a photograph, you must carrying another form of photographic ID for verification.

Employers and employees who do not have this exemption should make sure they are carrying a permit as required under the directions when attending their place of work.

Students on work placement

Students on a work placement must be issued with a permit by their employer or higher education provider if they need to move between metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria.

For students completing a clinical placement in a medical, nursing, midwifery, allied health, health assistance or personal care clinical context, excluding a placement in a residential aged care facility, their higher education provider should issue their permit as per the arrangements under the previous Permitted Worker Permit Scheme.

Childcare Permit

Worker permits for accessing childcare and kinder are no longer required.

More information

Download the Metro-Regional Work Travel permit (Word).

See the  Chief Health Officer’s directions.

Information on WorkSafe requirements.

Please contact Business Victoria on 13 22 15 if you have a specific question that can’t be answered by the information above. Business Victoria is experiencing very high call volumes, and there may be an extended wait before your call is answered.

For other information about the restrictions contact the Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398 – open 24 hours, 7 days. For languages other than English, press zero.