If you are dissatisfied with any service provided, contracted, funded or regulated by the Department of Health and Human Services we have a complaints process you can follow.

Note: We do not look after Medicare, Centrelink or Child Support, so please contact them directly to make a complaint as follows:

  • Phone Australian Government Department of Human Services on 1800 132 468, or see their Complaints and feedback page.

What can you make a complaint about?

We want our services to work for people who need and use them. We can always do better and we listen to people using our services, their advocates and representatives.

We want to know if:

  • You feel a service is unsatisfactory
  • You did not receive enough information or choice
  • You were denied respect, dignity or privacy.

When handling your complaint we will:

  • Provide information that is helpful, accurate, and easy to understand
  • Be courteous and considerate in our communication
  • Promptly refer requests to the appropriate person
  • Respond to requests within a reasonable time
  • Keep you informed of progress or delays.

How to make a complaint

Take the following steps to get your complaint resolved:

Step 1. Discuss your complaint with a staff member or your case worker at your local office.

Step 2. If you have tried to resolve your concerns but you are still dissatisfied with the outcome, you can discuss your complaint with a senior manager at the local office.

Step 3. If your complaint cannot be resolved at Step 1 or Step 2, complete and submit the Make a complaint eform and we will take further steps to resolve the matter.

Other contacts

Lodge your complaint by phone

  • Call 1300 884 706

Make a child at risk report

Report a housing maintenance issue

  • Contact the Housing Call Centre on 131172.

Contact the National Disability Insurance Scheme

  • Phone: 1800 800 110.
Your privacy

We recognise that your personal and health information should only be used, or disclosed for the purpose for which we collect it, or for a related purpose that you would reasonably expect.

The investigation of your complaint may involve sharing your personal or health information with other relevant areas within the department, to achieve a resolution.

The department also collects and uses a range of personal and health information for delivering, planning, funding, monitoring, evaluating and improving its services and functions, and for meeting statutory requirements.

The department removes identifying details from your personal and health information, unless it is necessary for the purpose of the collection.

Need assistance?

The department can arrange an interpreter to help with language services. You may ask someone else to lodge a complaint on your behalf. However, they must have your permission to do this.

Lodging a complaint and seeking a resolution can sometimes involve sensitive issues. The department can provide assistance and support throughout the process of making a complaint.

Other organisations you can contact

You may also wish to take your complaint to one of the following organisations:

Disability Services Commissioner

The Disability Services Commissioner works with people with a disability, and disability services to resolve complaints.

Telephone: 1800 677 342 (free call) TTY service for people with hearing or speech difficulties: 1300 726 563. Web: www.odsc.vic.gov.au

Health Complaints Commissioner

The Health Complaints Commissioner receives and resolves complaints about healthcare and the handling of health information in Victoria.

Telephone: 1300 582 113 TTY service for people with hearing or speech difficulties: http://www.relayservice.gov.au Web: http://www.hcc.vic.gov.au

Mental Health Complaints Commissioner

The Mental Health Complaints Commissioner can assist you if your complaint is about a public mental health service in Victoria.

Telephone: 1800 246 054 Web: www.mhcc.vic.gov.au

Victorian Ombudsman

The Ombudsman has the power to investigate complaints about State and local government authorities. The Ombudsman investigates complaints made about decisions, actions or inaction by these bodies.

Telephone: 9613 6222.  Regional:  1800 806 314 Web: www.ombudsman.vic.gov.au

Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner

The Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner will investigate complaints about a Victorian Government agency or local council’s failure to comply with one or more of the Information Privacy Principles.

Telephone: 1300 006 842 Web: http://www.ovic.vic.gov.au 

Children and young people in out-of-home care

If you are a child or young person living in out-of-home care and you want to make a complaint, see Making a complaint - for children and young people in out-of -home care.

Guide to making a complaint in English, easy English and community languages