Second Step

11.59pm on 13 September 2020

Second Step: Homes and property - regional Victoria

What does this mean I can do?

If you live in regional Victoria, the Second Step restrictions apply.

  • You can move home.
  • You can sell and inspect property.
  • Auctions of houses must be held remotely.

You must wear a face covering when you leave home.

Your questions answered

I have more than one home. Can I choose which one I stay in?

For people with more than one ordinary place of residence, your place of residence as of 11:59pm on Saturday 1 August must remain your principal place of residence. If your principal place of residence is in metropolitan Melbourne, then you must stay at that residence. You should not be travelling between your residences, or to a holiday home, except to carry out emergency maintenance.

I had arranged to move to a new house – can I still go ahead

Yes, you may leave home for the purposes of relocation.

Can friends and family help me to move?

Members of your household or up to four other friends or family members from a maximum of two different household can help you move. The movers should undertake the outdoor moving activities and stay at least 1.5 metres apart from each other. All those involved should wash their hands regularly and not share food or drink.

If anyone has symptoms, they must stay home and get tested. This will help keep your loved ones safe.

Are auction houses restricted?

Auctions at auction houses must only be held remotely.

Can I sell my house at auction?

Yes, under the restrictions you can put your home on the market for private sale or auction. Auctions can only be held remotely.

I want to buy a property – can I inspect it?

Inspections for prospective tenants or buyers can occur by private appointment.

How many people can do a routine inspection of a rental property? Can the landlord accompany the real estate agent?

Routine inspections can still take place. You should limit inspections to one person and the real estate agent.

If there are issues, such as damages to the property, consider taking photos to share with the landlord.

You must wear a face covering, unless you have a legal exemption. During the inspection you should keep at least 1.5 metres between yourself and others.

Can tradespeople come into my home?

Yes. Tradespeople are allowed to carry out repairs. People coming into your home must wear a face covering. You should keep at least 1.5 metres distance between you and the tradesperson at all times.

If you need help with house cleaning, ensure the cleaner’s time in your home is kept to a minimum. Keep at least 1.5 metres distance between you and the cleaner at all times. If possible, move to a different room from where the cleaner is working.

Minimise physical contact by paying with a direct bank transfer or contactless payment.

Can I leave home to undertake essential maintenance of a property other than my place of residence?

Yes, you may leave your home to undertake emergency maintenance of another residence. You should maintain 1.5 metres between you and anyone else on site. You should keep your time at the property to a minimum.

How will these rules be enforced?

Directions will continue to be enforced through spot checks by Victoria Police and use of emergency powers by the Department of Health and Human Services Authorised Officers to ensure compliance with the public health directions.

Industry bodies, Victoria Police, WorkSafe, and Authorised Officers will work together to inform Victorians about the directions, as well as undertake enforcement and compliance activities as needed.

Community members can raise concerns about compliance with directions through the Police Assistance Line (PAL) on 131 444. Workers can raise concerns via WorkSafe on 1800 136 089. And employers can talk to their industry regulator or peak body for specific industry related support.

A Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak Joint Intelligence Unit has been established to support comprehensive preparedness and responses to outbreaks and identify and manage outbreak risks. DHHS and WorkSafe will co-ordinate intelligence and information on businesses that are non-compliant.

What are the penalties for non-compliance?

Victoria Police can issue on the spot fines of up to $1,652 for individuals and up to $9,913 for businesses for:
•    refusing or failing to comply with the public health directions
•    refusing or failing to comply with a public health risk powers, including to provide information.

Fines of up to $20,000 for individuals and $100,000 for businesses are possible through the court system.