Everyone who is tested for coronavirus (COVID-19) helps us understand how the virus is spreading.
Follow the steps on this page to help protect yourself and others from the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).
- If you are feeling unwell do not go to work.
- Check your symptoms - you may have coronavirus (COVID-19) if you have any of the following: fever, chills or sweats, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, runny nose and loss or change in sense of smell or taste.
- Get tested at a nearby testing location if you have any of the symptoms. Return home immediately.
- Wait for your test results. Do not go to work or go out shopping, stay at home. It usually takes 2 days for your results to be returned to you. If you are worried your results are taking too long you can call a service provider for more information.
- If you are worried you will lose pay while you wait for your results you may be eligible for a $450 Coronavirus (COVID-19) Test Isolation Payment.
- If you test negative, once you feel well go about your normal activity, following the restrictions for your location.
- If you test positive we will contact you. You will need to isolate for at least 10 days. Do not go to work. If you are worried you will lose pay you may be eligible for a $1500 Coronavirus (COVID-19) Worker Support Payment.
- If your symptoms continue or your condition worsens contact your doctor or a health professional. If you become very unwell and are having trouble breathing contact triple zero (000), you may need to be admitted to hospital.
- If you have tested positive, you must isolate until you receive clearance from the Department of Health and Human Services. Once you have been cleared you can resume your normal activity, following the restrictions for your location. Isolation for positive test result of coronavirus (COVID-19) is at least 10 days – however this depends on how long your symptoms persist.
- If you test negative, your doctor or the clinic where you were tested will tell you your result. You can resume your normal activity once you feel well, following the restrictions for your location. If you continue to have symptoms you should ring your general practitioner for advice. If you become very unwell and are having trouble breathing contact triple zero (000).
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Test Isolation and worker support payments
Information about financial support for Victorian workers who are waiting for test results or self-isolating.
Call-to-Test - Reaching out to vulnerable Victorians
Vulnerable Victorians can get tested at home to help slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).
Coronavirus (COVID-19) interactive self-assessment
Our interactive self-assessment helps you understand your personal circumstances.