Second Step

11.59pm on 27 September 2020

Second Step commences at 11.59pm on 27 September

What does this mean I can do?

The following entertainment and cultural venues in metropolitan Melbourne are closed:

  • galleries, museums, national institutions and historic sites
  • zoos, wildlife parks, petting zoos, aquariums and animal farms
  • outdoor amusement parks and outdoor arcades
  • indoor cinemas and drive-in cinemas
  • concert venues, theatres and auditoriums.
Your questions answered

Can I go to my gym/theatre/business venue to livestream a performance or record classes/sessions?

No. You cannot attend your workplace for the purpose of a livestream.

Can I go to a lesson, class or practice for dance, singing, acting, or music?

No. People who live in metropolitan Melbourne must stay at home unless for one of the four permitted reasons.

This means classes, lessons and practice sessions can only occur online.

What restrictions apply if the venue has a restaurant or cafe?

Restaurants or cafes within these facilities must adhere to the restrictions specific to them. More information is available on the Restaurants and cafes page.

Can I play the pokies?

No. At this stage gaming venues remain closed across Victoria.

Can I go to a nightclub?

No. Nightclubs are closed. More information is available on the Restaurants and cafes page.

I work in the Information Media & Telecommunications sector (e.g. film production, sound recording, location scout). Can I continue to work?

Guidance for the Information Media & Telecommunications sector under current is available at the Business Victoria website.

I’m a sole trader or independent creative and operate my business/work alone in a studio – can I continue to do this?

You can only attend work, including a studio, if it is a permitted workplace. More information is available on the business restrictions webpage

Can I or my staff go to my dance/art/music studio alone to teach online classes or film online learning content?

No, these are not permitted workplaces. You or your staff would need to conduct online classes or film online learning content from home. You cannot have someone who doesn’t live with you come into your home to assist with filming.

Can I livestream a performance, class or other activity from my home?

Yes. If you are able to livestream from home, you can do so. However, no one from outside of your household is permitted to come to your home to assist with livestreaming.

Our music/arts/gallery/museum venue includes a retail shop. Can we continue to have staff on site to run our retail operations?

While your retail outlet must close, attendance is allowed on site for the purposes of fulfilling online orders.

You must have a COVIDSafe Plan in place and operate in accordance with the Permitted Worker Permit Scheme directions.

I have been booked to work on a livestream performance event in regional Victoria, can I travel from metropolitan Melbourne to do this?

You can travel to regional Victoria to perform this work. Your employer needs to issue you a Permitted Worker Permit. The permit must be carried with you at all times. More information is available on the permitted worker scheme page.

If you can work from home, you should work from home.

How will you enforce this? Who will enforce it?

Directions will continue to be enforced through spot checks by Victoria Police and use of emergency powers by Authorised Officers to ensure compliance with the Public Health Directions.

Industry bodies, Victoria Police, WorkSafe, and DHHS Authorised Officers will work together to inform Victorians about the directions, as well as undertake enforcement and compliance activities as needed.

Community members can raise concerns about compliance with directions through the Police Assistance Line (PAL) on 131 444. Workers can raise concerns via Worksafe on 03 9641 1555. And employers can talk to their industry regulator or Peak body for specific industry related support.

A Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak Joint Intelligence Unit has been established to support comprehensive preparedness and responses to outbreaks, and identify and manage outbreak risks.

The Department of Health and Human Services and WorkSafe will co-ordinate intelligence and information on businesses that are non-compliant.

What are the penalties for non-compliance?

Victoria Police can issue on the spot fines of up to $1,652 for individuals and up to $9,913 for businesses for:

  • Refusing or failing to comply with the emergency directions
  • Refusing or failing to comply with a public health risk power direction
  • Refusing or failing to comply with the Public Health Directions to provide information.

Victoria Police can issue on the spot fines of up to $4,957 for people who live in metropolitan Melbourne who are found to be in regional Victoria without a lawful reason. This fine will also be issued if you gather outdoors in groups larger than five people, you have visitors to your home without a lawful reason, or you visit someone in their home without a lawful reason.

Fines of up to $20,000 for individuals and $100,000 for businesses are possible through the court system. Individuals who do not wear a face mask and do not have a lawful reason can be fined $200.