COVIDSafe Summer — restrictions apply from 11:59pm Sunday 6 December 2020.
From 11:59pm on Sunday 6 December 2020 Victoria moves to COVIDSafe Summer restrictions.
On this page
Coronavirus (COVID-19) testing for people with disability
There are three ways people with disability, their carers and disability support workers may access testing, and priority processing arrangements are in place to turn test results around quickly.
Roadmap for reopening - Coronavirus (COVID - 19) fact sheet for disability service providers
The Victorian Government Coronavirus (COVID-19) roadmap for re-opening sets out the steps for easing of restrictions across Victoria. This fact sheet outlines the easing of restrictions and requirements for Victoria, and how this applies to disability services.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) roadmap for reopening - disability service providers - 2 December 2020 (Word)
Centre-based disability services
Centre-based disability services, formerly known as day programs, refer to a range of disability support services which are provided in specific purpose facilities and other community facilities. This fact sheet outlines the last step for restrictions on disability services.
- Centre-based disability services - Coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions factsheet for disability service providers (Word)
- Centre-based services - Staff declaration (Word)
- Centre-based services - Visitor declaration (Word)
Workforce Restrictions - Coronavirus (COVID-19) fact sheet for disability service providers
This factsheet outlines the requirements for disability service providers and workers under the Permitted Worker and Childcare Permit Scheme Directions (Permitted Worker Directions) and Workplace Directions issued by the Chief Health Officer in accordance with powers arising from the declared state of emergency.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Workplace restrictions - 2 December 2020 (Word)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Disability Residential Services - Worker Declaration - 3 December 2020 (Word)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Disability Residential Services - Visitor Declaration - 3 December 2020 (Word)
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Plan for the disability services sector
The plan is designed to enable disability service providers to continue essential services to people with disability.
This advice gives guidance on how the disability sector can operate and prioritise their efforts in this current stage of the coronavirus (COVID-19) response.
The department encourages you to always view the plan online as it will be updated regularly.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Plan for the disability services sector - 14 December 2020 (Word)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreaks in disability services - Immediate Action Steps - 14 August 2020 (Word)
Personal protective equipment (PPE) for disability service providers
- Disability service workers are no longer required to wear eye protection when providing support to people who do not currently have or are suspected of having coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) such as gloves, gown and protective eye wear should be used when providing hands-on contact care if there is a risk of splash or exposure to blood or body fluids.
- Disability service staff, contractors and volunteers in Victoria must wear a surgical mask when interacting with clients indoors or outdoors.
- Clients should also wear a face mask wherever possible in these environments.
- Visitors must wear a surgical mask at all times inside disability residential facilities.
- Disability service staff, contractors and volunteers in Victoria should wear a surgical mask in indoor non client facing roles (for example, tea rooms, meeting rooms, offices) if physical distancing of at least 1.5 metres cannot be maintained.
- Exemptions continue to apply to the face mask requirement.
- For more information visit the face masks webpage.
- PPE for disability services providers for prevention of coronavirus (COVID-19) - 15 December 2020 (Word)
Frequently asked questions for disability support workers.
- How to put on and take off your personal protective equipment (PPE) - gown and gloves removed separately (PDF)
Additional support for people with disability
A funding package of $17 million will help support the needs of Victorians with disability during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
People with disability face increased risks at this time, particularly those with underlying chronic health conditions and high support needs.
This funding will help improve access to health services, provide more respite care for families, and support the recruitment of new workers to the disability sector.
Further information and considerations specific to people with disability and the people that care for them is available on the Information for people with disability - coronavirus (COVID-19) page.
Isolation management in disability accommodation settings
These documents provide isolation management information and practice advice to service providers who support people with disability.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information for people with disability and their carers while in self-isolation (Word)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Isolation management in disability accommodation (Word)
Care facilities directions
The Chief Health Officer is restricting access to facilities where vulnerable Victorians live and receive care. This will help protect elderly people, those with disability, people experiencing homelessness, and children and young people in secure welfare services from the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). People who live in these care facilities are especially vulnerable to the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19), and may be critically at-risk if exposed.
- Factsheet on Care facilities - Disability accommodation supplementary guidance - 11 December 2020 (Word)
Disability services senior practitioner practice advice
These documents provide information and practice advice to senior practitioners and service providers who support people with disability.
- Diffusing tense situations during the coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions (Word)
- Other proactive strategies to lessen impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions (Word)
- Using environmental changes to lessen the impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) (Word)
- Practice on a page: Telehealth and Functional Behaviour Assessments (Word)
Information for disability service providers
Guidance on important requirements and supports available to deliver services to people with disability.
- Behaviour support services - Coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions factsheet - 13 November 2020 (Word)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Guidance for service providers furloughing staff (Word)
- Disability worker mobility reduction payment initiative factsheet (11-09-2020) COVID-19 (Word)
Daily staff attestations - Coronavirus (COVID-19) fact sheet for disability residential services
Disability residential service providers should implement daily attestations by staff that they are symptom-free prior to commencing a shift or day’s work. This is to ensure that staff are not working while unwell.