Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peak organisations and leadership is working closely with state, local and Commonwealth Governments to coordinate response plans and ensure we have the necessary resources, equipment, supplies and support for our community.
Emergencies mean different things to different people. They are often defined as ‘an event requiring a significant, coordinated response’. These events can range from a cyclone or flood, to a vehicle crash or family dispute. Our communities have always supported each other in the mentioned events.
A State of Disaster has been declared in Victoria due to the serious risk to public health posed by coronavirus (COVID-19).
Facing challenges such as coronavirus (COVID-19) is not new to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, as we have responded to many different emergencies for many years. However, this will take all of us working together to keep us strong, safe and well.
This webpage provides information for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community about how to manage the impact of coronavirus (COVID-19), alongside materials provided by the Department of Health and Human Services at the Coronavirus section on this site.
Please check for regular updates to this content.
Resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community controlled organisations
- Mandatory face coverings for all Victorians (Word)
- Personal protective equipment factsheet (Word)
- Message from Chair Koorie Caucus (PDF)
- Ensuring cultural safety of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people (Word)
- Business continuity tool and key departmental contacts (Word)
- Physical distancing - protecting yourself and your family (Word)
- Physical distancing activities and tips for families with children (Word)
- Access to food and essential supplies - supporting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Victorians (Word)
- COVID-19 Testing for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Victorians (Word)
- COVID-19 Information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People - 10 ways to work well at home (Word)
- Hear from Dr Glenn Harrison about getting tested for coronavirus
- Hear from Jill Gallagher, CEO, VACCHO, about getting tested for coronavirus
Second Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community and Health Sector COVID-19 Digital Forum
The second Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community and Health Sector COVID-19 Digital Forum on Wednesday 17 June 2020 had an anticipated 200 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community controlled organisations in attendance.
The forum discussed the easing of restrictions, restoring services and the supports available for Victorian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community organisations as the state moves towards the recovery phase.
The forum acknowledged the challenges and celebrated the many achievements made during the pandemic response.
Resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and clients
Campaign materials: 'Staying apart, keeps mob together' (June 2020).
- COVID-19 – Aboriginal Stakeholder Pack (PDF)
- A3 campaign posters
- Social media resources for testing
- Social media posts on schooling
- Social media posts for getting tested if you feel sick
- Social media posts on coronavirus (COVID-19) main symptoms
- Standalone campaign social media tile
*Download as static image or gif.
Information for people with disability
There is more information and resources specifically developed for people with disability and the people caring for them.
To find out more go to the Information for People with Disability page on this site.