Information about community services in regional Victoria.

Second Step

11.59pm on 13 September 2020

Second Step: Community services - regional Victoria

What does this mean I can do?

If you live in regional Victoria:

  • libraries and community venues are closed, except for essential public support services and activities such as:
    • Hosting an essential support group
    • Hosting a wedding or funeral
    • Providing contactless click and collect, and return services for members
    • Providing an exclusive venue for a single school at any one time for educational purposes
    • Toy libraries for the collection and return of pre-booked toys or home delivery
Your questions answered

Current restrictions

Restrictions on community services and local government facilities in regional Victoria are:

  • Libraries will remain closed, but can provide contactless click and collect and home delivery services to the community.
  • Toy libraries will remain closed, except for the collection and return of pre-booked toys or home delivery.
  • Community facilities will be closed.
  • Community facilities or libraries that provide an essential service such as food banks, services for people experiencing homelessness or support groups can continue to provide those services.

Examples of community facilities are:

  • community centres and halls
  • public library (including a toy library)
  • youth centres
  • Police and Community Youth Clubs (PCYCs)
  • community clubs
  • RSL clubs (sporting facilities component)

Can a recreational facility in regional Victoria be used for charitable or community service?

Yes. Facilities such as community services and public halls can still be used to deliver essential services. This includes food banks or services for people experiencing homelessness.

Always keep at least 1.5 metres between yourself and others. You must wear a face covering, unless you have a lawful reason for not doing so.

Can a support group be held in a community or recreational facility?

Essential support groups such as drug and alcohol support groups can continue to operate. These support groups can have no more than 20 people allowed in each separate indoor space or the number permitted by the density quotient of 1 person per 4 square metres, whichever is less. The four-square metre rule applies to limit the number of people in a space.

When attending a support group, you must wear a face covering, unless you have a lawful reason for not doing so. You should keep 1.5 metres between yourself and others.

Can a community facility be used for a wedding or funeral?

A community or recreational facility can be used for a wedding or funeral. There are limits on the number of people who can attend weddings and funerals by location. More information is available on the Religion and ceremony – regional Victoria page.

Can my child go to playgroup?

No. All in-person playgroups in regional Victoria have stopped meeting.

Can I go to my local art class?

No. All in-person non-essential groups in regional Victoria have been suspended.

How will you enforce this? Who will enforce it?

Directions will continue to be enforced through spot checks by Victoria Police and use of emergency powers by Authorised Officers to ensure compliance with the Public Health Directions.

Industry bodies, Victoria Police, WorkSafe, and Authorised Officers will work together to inform Victorians about the directions, as well as undertake enforcement and compliance activities as needed.

Community members can raise concerns about compliance with directions through the Police Assistance Line (PAL) on 131 444. Workers can raise concerns via WorkSafe on 1800 136 089. Employers can talk to their industry regulator or Peak body for specific industry related support.

A Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak Joint Intelligence Unit has been established to support comprehensive preparedness and responses to outbreaks and identify and manage outbreak risks.

The Department of Health and Human Services and WorkSafe will co-ordinate intelligence and information on businesses that are non-compliant.

What are the penalties for noncompliance?

Victoria Police can issue on the spot fines of up to $1,652 for individuals and up to $9,913 for businesses for:

  • Refusing or failing to comply with the emergency directions
  • Refusing or failing to comply with a public health risk power direction
  • Refusing or failing to comply with the Public Health Directions to provide information.

Fines of up to $20,000 for individuals and $100,000 for businesses are possible through the court system.

Individuals who do not wear a face covering and do not have a lawful reason can be fined $200.