On this page
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Plan for Family and Community Services
This plan contains detailed information on Targeted Action for department funded Child and Family Services during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This plan has been developed by the Department of Health and Human Services, based on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Plan for the Victorian Community Services Sector, to inform more detailed planning and provide specific guidance on emerging response needs for Child and Family Services.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Plan for Child and Family Services – version 3 - 24 August 2020 (Word)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Child and Family Services Frequently Asked Questions - 24 August 2020 (Word)
Increasing support for vulnerable children and families during coronavirus (COVID-19)
A $77.5 million funding package will help provide additional support to vulnerable children and families across Victoria amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
For more information, see Carers and children in care.
Practice advice to support young people in Care Services during coronavirus (COVID-19)
Nursing Support (including testing) for young people in Care Services residential care
Nursing support is available for children and young people in care services living in residential care homes, where they would benefit from clinical monitoring to supplement the day to day care provided by residential care staff. For additional information and approval process please see:
- Practice advise - supporting young people in Care Services during COVID-19 (Word)
- Factsheet on nursing support for residential care providers (Word)
- Appendix A - Child/young person profile and key contacts form (Word)
- Appendix B - Department of Health and Human Services Health Monitoring Contacts for Approvals and Allocation Process (Word)
- Appendix C - Nursing providers available to support Care Services residential care providers (Word)
Child protection: Information and advice for sector partners during coronavirus (COVID-19)
Home and community care program for younger people
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response Home and community care program for younger people 26 March 2020 (Word)
Plan for care services (out of home care)
This plan contains detailed information on targeted action for care services during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Frequently asked questions – care services
This information sheet provides responses to commonly asked questions from care services providers regarding planning and responding to COVID-19.
Supporting young people in care services
This document has been prepared for carers, residential care workers, lead tenant volunteers and case managers to guide support for young people in Care Services to comply with stay at home directions during coronavirus (COVID-19).
Early Parenting Centres (EPCs)
This document provides guidance to Early Parenting Centres (EPCs) to support the continued delivery of services in response to the COVID-19 pandemic via safe and alternative means.
New parents - advice for child and family services
This document provides advice for child and family services about COVID-19 and new parents.
Supports to adequately address risk and safety concerns of children in residential care
This document outlines the policy position relating to the funding being made available to support residential care providers respond to behaviour concerns and issues that have arisen as a result of coronavirus (COVID 19) and promote the safety and wellbeing of young people in residential care and the staff who care for them.
- F1380: Access to additional resources during COVID-19 in residential care - Additional resources to support safety and wellbeing (Word)
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Home Stretch initiative – information for workers
The Home Stretch initiative provides support for young people turning 18 and due to leave care during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Frequently asked questions about the initiative provide advice for staff working with young people.
- Home Stretch support for young people in care turning 18 years in 2020 - fact sheet for people who work with young people in care (Word)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Home Stretch support for young people - frequently asked questions for workforce (Word)
The Victorian Government recognises the increased costs faced by home-based carers due to coronavirus (COVID-19) and the additional pressure this can cause on placements.
- Flexible funding F1381 - Financial support to carers - guidance (Word)
- Flexible funding F1381 - Expenditure record template (Excel)
Capacity for contingency/emergency placements
This guidance sets out key messages for care service providers, Placement Coordination Units (PCU) and the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) operational divisions about:
- Access to additional funding for contingency arrangements to support children and young people in care during coronavirus (COVID-19)
- The ways in which additional funding can be used to support children and young people who are in, or entering, residential care. This includes to support self-isolation and reducing stress on current residential care placements at risk of breakdown and/or supporting young people to safely transition into residential care during coronavirus (COVID-19).
The guidance is effective from: 23 April 2020.
Respite and in-home support guidance
This guidance outlines respite and in-home support for foster and kinship carers: