On this page
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Plan for Family and Community Services
This plan contains detailed information on Targeted Action for department funded Child and Family Services during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This plan has been developed by the Department of Health and Human Services, based on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Plan for the Victorian Community Services Sector, to inform more detailed planning and provide specific guidance on emerging response needs for Child and Family Services.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Plan for Child and Family Services - 17 November 2020 (Word)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Child and Family Services Frequently Asked Questions - 24 August 2020 (Word)
Increasing support for vulnerable children and families during coronavirus (COVID-19)
A $77.5 million funding package will help provide additional support to vulnerable children and families across Victoria amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
For more information, see Carers and children in care.
Practice advice to support young people in Care Services during coronavirus (COVID-19)
Child protection: Information and advice for sector partners during coronavirus (COVID-19)
Home and community care program for younger people
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response Home and community care program for younger people 26 March 2020 (Word)
Plan for care services (out of home care)
This plan contains detailed information on targeted action for care services during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Frequently asked questions – care services
This information sheet provides responses to commonly asked questions from care services providers regarding planning and responding to COVID-19.
Supporting young people in care services
This document has been prepared for carers, residential care workers, lead tenant volunteers and case managers to guide support for young people in Care Services to comply with stay at home directions during coronavirus (COVID-19).
Early Parenting Centres (EPCs)
This document provides guidance to Early Parenting Centres (EPCs) to support the continued delivery of services in response to the COVID-19 pandemic via safe and alternative means.
New parents - advice for child and family services
This document provides advice for child and family services about COVID-19 and new parents.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Home Stretch initiative
The Home Stretch initiative provided support for young people turning 18 and due to leave care during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Now, the program is universal. In January 2021, Victoria was the first state in Australia to extend Home Stretch to all young people leaving foster, kinship and residential care up to the age of 21, with the government investing $75 million over four years and ongoing funding in the 2020-21 Victorian State Budget.
From July 2021, the program has expanded even further to include every young adult on permanent care orders following an investment of $38.9 million over four years and $13.8 million ongoing funding in the 2021-22 Victorian State Budget.
- Information on Home Stretch for workers can be found on the Providers website
- Information on Home Stretch for young people and carers can be found on the Services website
Capacity for contingency/emergency placements
This guidance sets out key messages for care service providers, Placement Coordination Units (PCU) and the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) operational divisions about:
- Access to additional funding for contingency arrangements to support children and young people in care during coronavirus (COVID-19).
- The ways in which additional funding can be used to support children and young people who are in, or entering, residential care and are positive for coronavirus (COVID-19), a close contact or awaiting rest results. This includes to support self-isolation in their existing placement or an alternative contingency arrangement where required.
The guidance is effective for the remainder of 2020-21.
Respite and in-home support guidance
This guidance outlines respite and in-home support for foster and kinship carers:
Flexible funding for carers
- Financial support for carers - Coronavirus (COVID-19) (Word)
- Flexible funding expenditure record template for carers impacted by coronavirus (COVID-19) (Excel)
Additional resources for cleaning, safety and wellbeing
- Access to additional resources in residential care (Word)
- Additional resources for safety wellbeing in residential care (Word)