Supports for parents and care-givers
We have all been asked to do things differently in playing our part to help slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).
This can be a challenging time for families, as children need extra reassurance and might have questions about coronavirus (COVID-19) – especially if they have heard people talking about it. Some children may show their stress or even fear by behaving differently or in challenging ways.
This is new territory for all parents, and everyone is learning as they go.
Here are some resources you might find useful:
Triple P Online
The Triple P Online program has resources specifically on parenting during coronavirus (COVID-19). This free online program includes information on:
- how to answer questions your children may have
- the importance of sticking to normal routines
- the importance of looking after yourself so you can better care for your children.
To access the program, visit Triple P Online program and select your child’s age range to register. You'll get an email giving you free access to the program for 12 months. You can go through all of the modules or just the session that’s relevant for you.
- The Victorian Department of Education and Training – The department's website has helpful information on talking to your child about coronavirus (COVID-19), including how to have a safe and reassuring conversation. They also have links to more resources to help you and your family.
- Face masks and coronavirus (COVID-19): supporting children 0-12 years - tips for how parents can help children cope and explore their feelings about seeing face masks
- Face masks and coronavirus (COVID-19): supporting teenagers – tips for how parents can help teenagers adjust to seeing and wearing face masks
Supporting parents, carers and children in care
A $77.5 million funding package will help provide additional support to vulnerable children and families across Victoria amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
As we face this challenge together, a range of new and extended supports will ensure the health and safety of these children and families.
- Media release - More support to keep families and children safe
- FAQs - Increasing support for children and families during COVID-19 (Word)
- Supplementary payment for eligible foster and kinship carers (Word)
- FAQs for kinship and foster carers during COVID-19 (Word)
- Supporting children and young people with learning during COVID-19 (Word)
- Home Stretch support for young people in care turning 18 years in 2020 - frequently asked questions for carers and young people (Word)
- Factsheet: What to do if your child has come into close contact with someone who has coronavirus (COVID-19) (Word)