- There is a roadmap that outlines the steps Victoria is taking to reopen for industries and sectors in regional Victoria and metropolitan Melbourne.
- From 11:59pm on Wednesday 16 September Third Step restrictions apply throughout regional Victoria.
- From 11:59pm on Sunday 27 September Second Step restrictions apply in metropolitan Melbourne.
- Under these restrictions, only permitted workplaces are allowed to operate on-site in metropolitan Melbourne.
- Businesses still operating in Victoria must have developed and implemented a COVIDSafe Plan to reduce the risk of coronavirus (COVID-19) spreading within the workplace (unless they have no employees onsite).
- Several industries have also been identified as high-risk. The businesses in these sectors must have a High Risk COVIDSafe Plan to complement their COVIDSafe Plan.
- Permitted workplaces restrictions apply to metropolitan Melbourne only. Permitted workplaces restrictions also apply to some high-risk industries such as abattoirs and meat processing businesses that also operate in regional Victoria.
- Businesses in regional Victoria are also subject to some restrictions and responsibilities.
- It is recommended that you visit the Business Victoria website for detailed guidance about your sector.
- Employers that require staff to attend a permitted workplace must issue an individual worker permit to their employees. Visit the Permitted Worker Scheme and worker permits page to find out more information.
- To see if your business or industry is allowed to operate on-site, download the Permitted Work Premises List directly below.
On this page
Permitted workplaces by industry
Permitted worker scheme
It is the responsibility of employers to issue individual worker permits to employees who are required to attend a workplace.
Visit the Permitted worker scheme page for more information about the scheme, access to childcare for permitted workers and to download the Worker Permit form.
Business Victoria industry detailed guidance
For up-to-date operational guidance for businesses and industries under current restrictions, as well as information to help you prepare a COVIDSafe Plan, visit the Business Victoria website.
Directions issued by Victoria’s Chief Health Officer
These directions identify permitted workplaces and restricted workplace activity under current restrictions.
The Restricted Activity Directions (Restricted Areas) (No 10) came into effect at 11.59pm on 11 October 2020.
- The Restricted Activity Directions (Restricted Areas) (No 13), came into effect at 18 October 2020 from 11:59pm (version 13, updated 18 October 2020) (PDF)
- The Restricted Activity Directions (Restricted Areas) (No 13), came into effect at 18 October 2020 from 11:59pm (version 13, updated 18 October 2020) (Word)