On this page
About the project
The Benalla West Estate is about 2.5km west of central Benalla. Benalla has recently experienced growth in job opportunities, which has increased housing demand. The Benalla West Estate revitalisation project will help to ensure everyone in the community continues to have access to safe and secure homes while benefiting from growth.
The estate has about 160 homes that were mostly constructed in the 1980s. It features a neighbourhood house and a street network linked by open space. The site could be improved through the creation of better public spaces and connections to surrounding neighbourhoods.
Late 2019: The project will be introduced to the community and a consultative committee established to inform the project.
Early 2020: The first phase of the Benalla West Estate revitalisation project will be to consult with the community about what they value about the area and what they would like to see improved. The information gathered in the first phase will help form a draft masterplan.
Mid 2020: Once a draft masterplan has been prepared, it will be brought to the community for feedback.
Late 2020: The masterplan will be updated in response to community feedback and finalised. Actions in the masterplan will begin.
Have your say
The strongest community plans are community led.
Consultation is at the heart of the planning process and we will be consulting with stakeholders and the community throughout the project to understand their needs and to make sure that the plan delivers the best possible outcomes.
Public consultation will occur in two key phases:
- In early 2020, we will work with community members to build a shared understanding and vision for Benalla West Estate.
- During the second phase in late 2020, we will seek feedback from the community on the draft plan.
The Benalla West Estate Consultative Committee will provide residents and community groups the opportunity to take part in the project and provide detailed feedback.
Members will give a local perspective, review project materials in details, and provide relevant information to the community.
This committee of 8-12 people plans to meet four times over the next 12 months.
The Benalla West Estate Consultative Committee will be chaired by Councillor Barbara Alexander, Benalla Rural City Council.
Residents and community members can to apply to join the Consultative Committee by completing the online application.
Key details are:
- Apply to join the Committee using the online application by 10 January 2020
- We will let applicants know if they will be on the committee by 30 January 2020.
- The first Committee meeting is planned for February 2020 (subject to change)
- The group will plan to meet four times over the next 12 months.
- Members will adhere to the Consultative Committee Terms of Reference (Word) and Consultative Committee Code of Conduct (Word).
Further information read the Benalla West Estate Consultative Committee information sheet - December 2019 (Word).
Ben Weiner, Principal Project Manager
(03) 9096 8748
Benalla West Estate residents contact
Simon Aldous, Client Service and Housing Services Manager
(03) 5722 0901