COVID-19 Residential Aged Care Facilities Plan for Victoria
The health, wellbeing and safety of residents, staff and the broader community are important for providers of aged care in responding to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. When considering the safety of their residents, residential aged care services’ responses should be balanced with appropriate compassionate visits from family and loved ones.
Residential aged care services are faced with a number of competing legal rights and obligations in the current pandemic.
Residential aged care facilities (RACFs) must balance those obligations to provide an outcome that is reasonable and proportionate to the risk in the circumstances. This balancing exercise must be undertaken on a case-by case basis and must be continually re-evaluated.
The COVID-19 Residential Aged Care Facilities Plan for Victoria (Word) provides guidelines to assist RACFs to support their healthcare workers, residents, families and visitors to prepare for, prevent and manage cases and outbreaks of coronavirus (COVID-19).
Important updates are highlighted in red throughout the Plan and relate to: Visitors and how to implement the Care Facilities Directions
- Influenza vaccination requirements
- Updated notification process
- Updated links and checklists
- Updated information about PPE
- In reach pathology rapid collection and testing service.
Stay up to date
- Transcript webinar 2 : COVID-19 and supporting worker wellbeing in the aged care sector 2 April 2020 (Word)
- Webinar 3: COVID-19 Caring for Vulnerable Victorians: medication planning and management (16 April 2020)
- Transcript webinar 3: COVID-19 Caring for Vulnerable Victorians: medication planning and management (Word)
- Webinar 4: COVID-19 Supporting resident emotional and psychosocial wellbeing (1 May 2020)
- Transcript webinar 4: COVID-19 Supporting resident emotional and psychosocial wellbeing (1 May 2020) (Word)
- Protecting Vulnerable Victorians: A COVID-19 webinar for Victorian residential aged care (19 March 2020)
- COVID-19 and supporting worker wellbeing in the aged care sector (2 April 2020)
- Webinar 5: COVID-19 and palliative care in residential aged care (28 May 2020 (Word)
- Transcript 5: COVID-19 Palliative care in residential aged care during the pandemic (28 May 2020) (Word)
- Advice for residential aged care in relation to admission and transfer into RACFs (Word)
- Advice for residential aged care staff and visitors in relation to restricted areas (Word)
- Influenza vaccination advice for residential aged care staff and visitors (Word)
- Factsheet restrictions on entry and visitors into residential aged care facilities (Word)
- Advance care planning in residential aged care services (Word)
- Care Plan for Suspected / Confirmed COVID-19 in aged care resident (Word)
- Dementia Australia – Tips for residential care providers
- Guidance for discharging patients back to place of residence (Word)
- PPE Guidance for residential aged care (Word)
- Access to PPE for Residential Aged Care Facilities in Victoria
- Transfer protocol for residents in aged care who test positive to coronavirus (COVID-19) (Word)